A study published on the National Center for Biotechnology Information showed that 12% of American Children suffer from noise-induced hearing loss. This loss happens in either one or both ears and is caused by exposure to different sound sources, including lawnmowers.
Continuous exposure to these sounds can cause health-related problems and even inhibit a child’s learning abilities. The WHO Guidelines for Community Noise reflect that noise-induced trauma’s effects stretch further than merely hearing loss. Nonauditory effects include increased blood pressure, increased heart rate, insomnia, difficulty breathing, and a change in the brain’s chemistry.
If you have children, plan to have children, or have children living around you who may be exposed to the effects of noise pollution, then investing in a quiet lawnmower is an excellent idea!
If you feel stuck on where to start, read through our guide below. It highlights the importance of having a quiet lawnmower and lists the different types for your convenience.
This website is supported by readers. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
- Our Recommended Quiet Lawn Mower in 2021
- 10) Greenworks 18-Inch Reel Lawn Mower
- 9) Sun Joe MJ403E Mow Joe Electric Lawn Mower
- 8) LawnMaster CLMF4016K Cordless Push Lawn Mower
- 7) Fiskars Staysharp Push Reel Lawn Mower
- 6) LawnMaster MEB1116K Electric Lawn Mower
- 5) WORX WG779.9 40V 14″ Lawn Mower
- 4) American Lawn Mower Company 50514
- 3) Greenworks G-MAX Cordless Lawn Mower
- 2) Greenworks 12 Amp 20-Inch 3-in-1 Lawn Mower
- 1) Makita XML03PT1 Lawn Mower
Our Recommended Quiet Lawn Mower in 2021
10) Greenworks 18-Inch Reel Lawn Mower
- 18" cutting path gets the job done quicker and more efficiently
- 2-in-1 feature provides mulching and rear bag capabilities
- 9 position height adjustment offers a range of cutting height from 1 3/4" to 2 3/4" for the perfect cut on all...
9) Sun Joe MJ403E Mow Joe Electric Lawn Mower
- Maintenance free – No gas, oil or tune-ups
- Powerful 13-amp motor cuts a 17-inch wide path
- Tailor cutting Height with 7-position Height control
8) LawnMaster CLMF4016K Cordless Push Lawn Mower
- 16-INCH CUTTING WIDTH: With a 16-inch high impact rust-resistant deck
- POWERFUL ENGINE: Powered by 40V MAX* li-ion battery(ASIN:B093FCCQQ9). Cordless lawn mower with brushless motor...
- 6 CUTTING POSITIONS: Effortlessly change the height of cuts between 1-inch to 3-inches using a one-touch lever
7) Fiskars Staysharp Push Reel Lawn Mower
- The smart design of our eco-friendly reel mower offers a cleaner cut without the hassles of gasoline, oil,...
- A combination of advanced technologies make the StaySharp Reel Mower 30 percent easier to push than other reel...
- Patent-pending InertiaDrive Reel delivers 50 percent more cutting power to blast through twigs, weeds and...
6) LawnMaster MEB1116K Electric Lawn Mower
- 【16-INCH Cutting Width & High Efficiency】With a 16-inch metal steel blade,Electric Lawn Mower with 12AMP...
- 【6 CUTTING POSITIONS】 From 1" - 3", with a one touch height adjustment lever
- 【Adjustable Handle & Efficient Grass Collection 】 Grass Collection rate of 8 Gallon Large Capacity grass...
5) WORX WG779.9 40V 14″ Lawn Mower
- Uses two (2) 20V 4.0Ah batteries (sold separately) for extended runtime and cutting power; cuts up to 5,000...
- Patented IntelliCut technology delivers power on demand - save your battery for when you really need it
- Foam padded handles provides a comfortable grip for reduced fatigue while cutting
4) American Lawn Mower Company 50514
- Powerful 11-Amp motor provides the power to cut all types of grasses; High efficiency motor for gas-like power
- Large 14" cutting width with 5-position easy-change cutting height adjustment from 1" to 2. 5"
- 2-in-1 rear discharge and mulching system; Includes hard top 16 Gal grass bag with grass level indicator for...
3) Greenworks G-MAX Cordless Lawn Mower
- G-MAX 40V 4Ah Li-Ion Battery (Model 29472) powers multiple tools for complete yard work system--includes 1-4Ah...
- Single lever 5-position height adjustment offers cutting height range from 1-1/4 inch to 3-3/8-inch for the...
- 2-in-1 feature offers rear bagging and mulching capability for multiple use. Cuts 400m2 on a single charge....
2) Greenworks 12 Amp 20-Inch 3-in-1 Lawn Mower
- Durable 20-inch steel deck
- Powerful 12 Amp Motor
- 3-In-1 (Mulching, Side Discharge, and Rear Bag)
1) Makita XML03PT1 Lawn Mower
- Heavy duty Steel deck
- Bl Brushless motor delivers 2, 500 - 3, 300 RPM for faster cutting
- Quiet mode reduces noise by providing constant speed control at 2, 500 RPM
The Benefits of a Quiet Lawnmower
Besides the first listed reason regarding noise pollution, you might be wondering why you need a quiet lawnmower and how it will benefit you.
Not contributing to the weekend morning buzz of lawnmowers in the neighborhood is a great reason to invest in a quieter model, but it’s not the only one.
Quiet lawnmowers generally have less maintenance since you don’t have to struggle with getting them to start and worry about sparkplugs, oil, or gas.
Having a quiet lawnmower also allows you to ditch those earmuffs and mow your lawn in a more relaxed environment. The bonus is a knowledge of knowing that your lawnmower is environmentally friendly too.
The Different Types of Quiet Lawnmowers
Different lawnmowers exist for various reasons. Besides the method of operation, many people prefer different sources of energy, size, and capabilities. Although some lawnmowers listed below fall in more than one category simultaneously, the basic features are described to help you decide which type will be best for you.
As per the name, electric mowers are powered by electricity either via a cord or cordless. Those with cords are connected to an electric source, and usage is limited to the cord’s length, although extender cords can be purchased. Cordless electric mowers use rechargeable batteries, which usually lasts between 30 – 70 minutes after a full charge.
Electric Lawnmowers are considered the best choice when it comes to silent mowers. They produce a very low level of noise and don’t pollute the air. If your house runs on solar power, it adds to this mower’s environmentally friendly factor.
Although they work fine in big spaces (land size not bigger than a quarter of an acre), they’re not the right choice if you have many trees or shrubs.
Walk-Behind Power Lawnmowers
Walk-behind lawnmowers are one of the most popular choices. They can be powered by gas or electricity and can be reel or rotary. When powered by electricity, the mower can either be corded or cordless.
Between the two types, the rotary is more common. It’s also easier to maintain than the reel type and generally more affordable. If you have tall weeds and grasses, the rotary will work better too.
Push Reel Lawn Mowers
Although this is an older type, it’s comfortable and straightforward to use. A push-reel lawnmower works by way of 5-8 blades that spin with a gear’s help when the lawnmower is pushed. It slices off the grass into a trimmed surface, and although you can use it in large areas if the person driving it has the strength, it won’t do well on uneven or rough surfaces.
Because this type of lawnmower runs on human effort, it’s environmentally friendly in several ways.
Ride-on mowers are an excellent choice if you have a large area to cover. Different from manual lawnmowers, a ride-on requires no pushing and is the ultimate choice for comfort. Operating like small tractors, these lawnmowers are driven around, and although most have a manual transmission, a few are made with hydrostatic transmission. The latter is usually more expensive but delivers more power and is easier to manage. Although there are also electric powered ride-on mowers, they aren’t as common.
Powered by artificial intelligence and requiring nothing but human supervision, robotic lawnmowers are the perfect combination of luxury and comfort. Robotic lawnmowers work within a defined space, whether fenced, wired, or walled. After turning the machine on, it will move around this predefined space and cut grass before returning to its charging block once done or if the power runs out.
Things to Consider When Buying a Lawnmower
Lawnmowers have many features that should be kept in mind. Besides deciding on the type of lawnmower and the fuel it will run on, the following is also essential to consider:
Area Size. Depending on the area that needs to be cut, you’ll be able to choose the deck size of your mower. Deck size refers to the area that the blade will cut, and a larger deck size will use less time to cut more grass. Smaller deck sizes suit small cutting areas better, whereas large areas require a larger deck size for a quick job.
Adjustment Options. Not everyone wants their lawn cut the same length. A lawnmower with adjustment options will give you the freedom to determine the length on which your lawn should be cut, and many such models include an adjustment for the handle height as well to fit every handler. This way, no one will have an excuse not to use the lawnmower!
Maintenance. Different lawnmowers have different maintenance requirements, and if you plan to have your lawnmower for long, this is important to know beforehand. Generally, electric lawnmowers have less maintenance than those operated by gas since gas mowers often need their oil changed, filters replaced, and users have reported spilling issues as well.
Mulching. A mulching function allows the lawnmower to cut the grass very finely, which adds nutrients to the soil. This is an excellent way to encourage plant growth without doing something extra!
Corded vs Cordless. Buying a lawnmower with a cord restricts your movement, so make sure that the cord is either long enough for you to comfortably cover your entire area that needs mowing or purchase an extension cord. When you use a cordless lawnmower, check the battery’s quality, how long it lasts, and whether a charger is included. If the lawnmower doesn’t come with an extra battery, purchasing one is a good idea.
Handle type. Handles differ to support each person’s preferences. Some handles are straight, while others are designed ergonomically. Added grip on a handle also makes it more convenient to use. If you get your hands on a model with foldable handles, storage will be much easier since these make a lawnmower more compact.
Quiet lawnmowers come in different makes and sizes to accommodate your every need. When you have a basic idea of what type you want and which features you’re looking for, your search to find the perfect lawnmower will be easier.
Last update on 2021-05-10 / Most affiliate links and/or Images from Amazon Product Advertising API