Lawn care used to be left entirely in the hands of the professionals. Professionals here means those companies that charged you exorbitant fees for cleaning your lawn and making it look like one of those picture-perfect well-manicured gardens commonly found in movie sets and expensive estates. Fortunately, you don’t have to spend huge amounts of money to get that professional-looking lawn. This is because you can do it yourself, using your own hands and your own equipment.
Once you’ve resolved to care for your own lawn, your next step is to look into the things you’d need to get started. Lawn Care 101’s shortlist of essential tools is likely to include a lawnmower, a leaf blower, sprinklers, and a string trimmer, to name a few. The lawnmower is the most obvious, but then you came to the string trimmer and probably got stumped. What on earth is a string trimmer, and do you really need it?
This website is supported by readers. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Table of Contents
- Our Recommended Cordless String Trimmers in 2021
- 12) PAXCESS String Trimmer
- 11) BLACK+DECKER LCC340C
- 10) BLACK+DECKER LST300
- 9) Greenworks STBA40B210
- 8) BLACK+DECKER LSTE525
- 7) WORX WG163
- 6) BLACK+DECKER LST522
- 5) DEWALT DCST925M1
- 4) Greenworks 21362
- 3) Greenworks ST40B410
- 2) DEWALT DCST970X1
- 1) BLACK+DECKER LSTE523
- What is a String Trimmer?
- String Trimmer vs. Lawn Edger
- What Types of String Trimmers Are There?
- A Buyer’s Guide to Choosing a Cordless String Trimmer
Our Recommended Cordless String Trimmers in 2021
12) PAXCESS String Trimmer
- 2-in-1 String Trimmer& Edger:PAXCESS cordless weed eater can be easily converted from a grass string trimmer...
- Lightweight & Great Power: With innovative PAXCESS motor power driving transmission, the weed wacker can...
- 2 Pcs Long-life Batteries:PAXCESS powerful weed wacker own 2pcs 20V Lithium-ion batteries and 1pcs...
11) BLACK+DECKER LCC340C
- LST140 40 volt max string trimmer/edger with power drive high torque transmission for clean, fast cuts
- Automatic Feed Spool AFS automatically feeds trimmer line as needed
- LSW40 40 volt max sweeper a wind speed of up to 130 MPH easily clear debris from hard surfaces
10) BLACK+DECKER LST300
- 2-in-1 cordless trimmer and edger cuts along borders, sidewalks and flower beds and easily converts between...
- EASY HANDLING: Lightweight and easy to handle with adjustable height handles
- MORE LINE, MORE CONTROL: Automatically feeds more line with no bumping necessary thanks to automatic spool...
9) Greenworks STBA40B210
- Up to 45 minutes of run time with fully charged 2.0Ah Battery, Battery and charger included
- The innovative axial fan design delivers 110 mph and 390 CFM to handle tough clearing jobs
- Light weight and easy to use
8) BLACK+DECKER LSTE525
- Converts from trimmer to wheeled edger; Amp hour: (2) 1.5 ampere hour
- Power drive transmission for increased torque
- 2 speed control for more power or extended runtime. Line diameter: 0.065 inches; Cutting swath 12 inches
7) WORX WG163
- Power Source Type: battery-powered
- INSTANT LINE FEED Innovative push button Command Feed spool system for instant line feeding. Plus, Free Spools...
- BATTERIES ARE INCLUDED 2 powerful and lightweight 20V Power Share MaxLithium batteries come with this tool,...
6) BLACK+DECKER LST522
- Automatic Feed Spool (AFS) feeds edger/ trimmer line as needed - without bumping.
- LBXR2520 battery provides cordless grass trimmer 66% more battery capacity for longer runtime compared to...
- 2-speed control lets you boost power or extend runtime of the lawn trimmer.
5) DEWALT DCST925M1
- The edger/trimmer provides 13-inch cutting swath with 0.080-inch line
- Gear drive transmission design of the cordless grass trimmer powers through overgrowth
- Variable trigger with high/low speed control of the lawn trimmer is designed for added power or extended...
4) Greenworks 21362
The brushless motor of this Greenworks string trimmer is tested to deliver higher torque and more power. The good news is, despite that, it actually quieter in operation than other similar models, and it does not use up as much battery life as competing models.
It requires 4Ah batteries, which have a runtime of up to 60 minutes. However, what makes this cordless string trimmer a real find is how it can serve multiple purposes, thanks to its capability to accept multiple attachments. Its attachment capability allows it to accept other implements such as a cyclone blower, a cultivator, a lawn edger, a disk blower, a hedge trimmer, and a pole saw, to name a few.
- Attachment capable, accepts most gas attachments to provide mulitple use
- Brushless motor delivers greater torque, quieter operation and higher battery efficiency
- Starts within seconds with gas comparable performance, battery compatible with multiple tools
3) Greenworks ST40B410
This cordless string trimmer from Greenworks has a .065 dual line and a 12-inch cutting swath. Its auto-feed head also works in speeding up the trimming process. Of course, you still call all the shots, since you can control how fast it will go, using the variable speed trigger.
The best part is that it is approximately ten times quieter than other gas string trimmers, and also produces less vibration, so you won’t have too much of a hard time handling it. Not that you’d have a hard time, really, since it boasts an ergonomic design to ensure superior balance and guarantee convenient operation.
- Up to 60 minutes of runtime on a fully charged battery
- 12 inch cutting path with 0.065 inch dual line auto feed head for quick and easy line advancement
- Ideal for yards up to 1/3 Acre
2) DEWALT DCST970X1
No one can deny the power that the DeWalt Flexvolt delivers. One look at the gear drive design and you can tell that it is capable of powering through tough overgrowth, using its highly efficient brushless motor. It has a cutting swath of 15 inches with a 0.080-inch line, although a 0.095-inch line will also work well with it.
Aside from a basic variable speed trigger, it also comes with a Hi/Lo speed control for greater flexibility. It is lightweight and easy to maneuver, and you won’t have to worry about straining your arms when using it.
- Gear drive design of the edger/trimmer powers through tough overgrowth
- High-efficiency brushless motor of the cordless grass trimmer maximizes run time and motor life
- Lawn trimmer provides 15-inch cutting swath with 0.080-inch line (also accepts 0.095 inch)
1) BLACK+DECKER LSTE523
Enjoy greater torque, thanks to this unit’s Power Drive Transmission. The BLACK+DECKER LSTE523 offers great convenience in operation, thanks to its 2-speed control and EASYFEED technology, which allows you to advance your line without bumping. All you need to do is push a button, and the line advances.
For additional comfort during use, you can also adjust its height and handle. But what makes this a top pick is its versatility. For the price of one, you can get two tools out of it, since it easily converts from a string trimmer to a wheeled lawn edger.
- Converts from trimmer to wheeled edger; Line diameter 0.065 inch
- Power drive transmission for increased torque
- 2 speed control for more power or extended runtime. Maximum initial battery voltage (measured without a...
What is a String Trimmer?
A lawnmower is considered to be the basic tool in lawn care, but even the best lawnmower can do so much. There will be spots under trees, or right beside your house, that cannot be reached by the lawnmower. And, let’s face it, a lawnmower is hardly designed to do some advanced landscaping techniques, is itFor that, you will need a string trimmer.
You have probably wondered how those well-kept gardens and lawns with delicate landscaping that you see in photos and magazine spreads came about. If you want such a manicured look for your lawn, getting a string trimmer will get you halfway there.
A string trimmer is a handheld garden tool designed with a rotating monofilament line to cut grass without causing damage to other objects in proximity. Since they are handheld, they are usually cordless, for easier handling and portability.
We have to be clear about this, though: a string trimmer is not a lawnmower. Meaning, string trimmers cannot mow your lawn, so do not think that they are substitutes for lawnmowers. Think of the string trimmer as a backup providing support to your lawnmower.
So if we are to point out two main reasons why you should have a string trimmer, they would be (1) to clear up grass and weeds in areas that a lawnmower cannot reach, and (2) to give your yard or garden a clean, professional and pretty look that will turn your home into the talk of the town or, at least, your neighborhood.
String Trimmer vs. Lawn Edger
A string trimmer gets compared to a lawn edger a lot. That is mostly due to the fact that both tools are used to deal with hard to reach areas or patches that the lawnmower cannot reach. They have the same purpose, but they work differently.
A lawn edger makes use of a blade that cuts using a spinning vertical motion in cutting grass that hangs over edges of driveways, plant beds, fences, and other borders. A string trimmer, on the other hand, does not make use of a blade. Instead, the cutting is done through a rotating head with several cord pieces hanging out. These cords spin horizontally and cut the grass and weeds usually found in tight or cramped areas that lawnmowers are unable to reach.
Now, do you have to buy both toolsIf you’re smart, you can actually use your string trimmer to work as a lawn edger. It’s just a matter of holding the string trimmer sideways, so the horizontal rotating motion will become vertical, and it will work as an edger would. Therefore, the conclusion is No, you do not have to buy a lawn edger and a string trimmer. Buying a cordless string trimmer will be enough, especially if you are on a tight budget.
What Types of String Trimmers Are There?
We can classify string trimmers into two general types: 2-stroke cycle and 4-stroke cycle string trimmers.
In a 2-cycle trimmer, you have to mix gas and oil. A 4-cycle trimmer, on the other hand, usually uses gasoline only, so no mixing required. Oil will still be used, but only for engine lubrication, and it has its separate reservoir.
A Buyer’s Guide to Choosing a Cordless String Trimmer
Prior to purchasing one, you may already have specific requirements and expectations of what the ideal cordless string trimmer is. If we’re going to get down to it, as long as the string trimmer does its job of cutting and whacking weeds and grass, then it’s definitely worth buying. But wait, don’t be hasty. There are several considerations to be made before you can make an informed decision on which string trimmer to buy.
Yard Size or Area
Look out your window, or walk out the door, and take a look at the area you are planning to use a string trimmer on. Bigger areas definitely call for cordless string trimmers, so choose one with greater mobility. Large landscapes also require a string trimmer with considerably more power to handle heavier cutting jobs. Basically, the yard size will dictate the power that you need in a string trimmer.
Aside from the area, however, you also have to consider the terrain. Is it wholly flat or your entire yard is a lawn, or are there slopes and rocky areasKnowing what you’re going to deal with will definitely help point you in the right direction when shopping for a string trimmer.
Your Vision for your Yard
What do you want to do with your yardIs it just a matter of cleaning and clearing your yard and driveway of saplings, weeds, and wayward grasses, or are you planning on turning it into a showpiece of your homeThere are string trimmers that specialize in clearing vegetation, while there are string trimmers that will come in handy when you want to make your yard or driveway pretty.
Look for a string trimmer that offers faster starts and fewer tangles. You don’t want to get frustrated when your new string trimmer is giving you a difficult time even before you even start trimming. For that, you want one with a reliable motor that also offers high efficiency. The quality of the batteries (in the case of battery-operated string trimmers) will also affect the performance, so you might want to look into what type of batteries are used, how many, and what’s the corresponding runtime that the battery will provide.
While most cordless string trimmers are battery-operated, there are also gas-powered ones and, more recently, several brands came out with cordless electric string trimmers. Choose which one is most convenient for you. You may also want to consider the impact on the environment, as gas-powered string trimmers are just like your gas-powered car when it comes to fumes.
The concerns usually encountered among users of battery-operated string trimmers include the number of batteries and the frequency with which you’d have to recharge them. Also, there is the battery life or runtime. Some provide a runtime of 30 minutes while some may reach up to an hour. Again, depending on the length of time or period that you expect to use the string trimmer, the battery aspect should also be looked into. If you have a wide yard and you don’t want the hassle of recharging the battery in intervals, then choose one with long-life batteries that will allow you to finish the task in one go before needing to be charged.
String Trimmer Design
Specifically, we are referring to the shape of the shaft. You have a choice between a string trimmer with a straight shaft and a string trimmer with a curved shaft. There is a preference for straight shafts because they generally have a longer reach, making them ideal for reaching underneath shrubs, bushes, and hedges. However, the reason why some users prefer a string trimmer with a curved shaft is that it is generally more lightweight and, therefore, easier to wield.
If you can get your hands on a string trimmer that can be “turned” into other tools, then you should consider giving it serious thought. Sure, it might be pricier than your average string trimmer, but if you actually need, say, a lawn edger or a pole saw, then you can hit two or three (or more!) birds with one stone. Attachment-capable string trimmers are definitely good investments that are worth looking into since they are sure to bring you more value for your money.
Ease of Handling
For this, the best way to go about it would be to do a “test drive,” so to speak. It’s not enough to be satisfied with a string trimmer that is lightweight. You have to test how it feels and how it operates in your hands. One of the most vital points to look at is the balance, which is why you have to test how well or how easy it is to adjust the front handle so that the weight would be distributed evenly.
In addition, it would be a good idea if the controls are easy to reach and actually smooth and easy to manipulate. Buttons that are not sensitive enough or are difficult to push are definitely a no-no. Settings should be easy to access and manipulate, so you won’t have a hard time handling the machine. Comfortable handles are also much appreciated, so you won’t have to deal with aching hands later on.
There are several models that also come with a harness you can wear around your shoulder, for easier mobility. They are available in the heavier models which, without the harness, are likely to cause a strain on your arms.
This website is supported by readers. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you have any questions or do you spot any mistakes, please add them below.
Previously in Our Recommended List
DEWALT DCST920P1 Brushless String Trimmer
This string trimmer from DEWALT features a dual 0.080-inch line with bump feed and a 13-inch cutting swath, so you can cover more ground in a shorter amount of time. And since it has a brushless motor, the reliability of motor performance is guaranteed.
In fact, the motor is so powerful that it can easily power through any tough overgrowth. Thanks to its variable trigger, there are no problems starting, stopping and controlling the trimmer. It even has speed control to grant you more flexibility while running it. It also helps that it is lightweight and compact, so it is much easier to store and handle.
Last update on 2021-06-17 / Most affiliate links and/or Images from Amazon Product Advertising API